If you’d like to take your music to the next level, I can help. I’ve taught composition in college classes, workshops, and the private studio for over 30 years at institutions that include the Berklee School of Music, University of Iowa, Brandeis University, and Calvin College. My favorite part of teaching is that I get to respond to each student’s unique abilities and goals.
Look through the list of skills below. Which ones describe your strengths? What do you want to do with your music? Where might you need to grow?
- melodic fluency and expression
- inventiveness and imagination
- ability to develop ideas
- formal clarity
- achieving variety from piece to piece
- accompaniments and bass lines
- effective harmonic progressions
- voice leading
- effective analysis that leads to insight
- instrumentation and orchestration
- approach to revision
- work ethic / more effective composing sessions
- making and integrating observations from other music
If you desire to go further and can commit to the work required, please use the form below to contact me.